Right now we’re slogging through re-platforming on Shopify Plus from Magento. The piece that I’m working on now is optimizing the subscription cycle and user experience since we basically get to design it from scratch. We have a lot of options to contend with: time cycle (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly), meal number (5-35), meal selection. And we’re trying to give people more selve serve options for cancelations, holds, referrals, etc. So a lot of moving pieces that I need to get as simple as possible.
Nicole in Member Success had sent me a screenshot of the Winc.com dashboard as an example of something she liked. Oddly enough she doesn’t use their service much, she’s been on hold for 12 months straight. She says they make it hard to cancel. I guess I’ll find out when I try.
My Top 10 Takeaways from the Walkthrough
- Winc has 2 different referral programs:
- Referral Link. Send your referral link to a friend. They get $20 off their first order. You get a $13 referral bonus on your friend’s 1st order and a $13 referral bonus on their 2nd order.
- Give a box. Your friend gets a $39 credit on their first order. There is no referral bonus for you. As far as I can tell, this is only an option after you do your first order, whereas you can send a referral link immediately.
- How it works explanation. We have a lot of Member success issues whereby people complain they did not know they were going on a subscription. Winc plants this fact front and center by:
- Making it part of the signup process. It’s explained as part of the personalization wizard.
- You have to initial an acknowledgement before you place your first order.
- Winc has a pretty good Personalization Wizard. It asks you for your flavor preferences when it comes to coffee and other foods and then makes a pretty good suggestion for your first box.
- Only one size for first order (4). I thought this was interesting. On the front end Winc says you have to get 4 bottles. But you can change this on the backend and drop it down to three if you work at it.
- Ability to subtract suggested wines and add new ones. You’re not stuck with their recommendations, you can subtract and add other wines from their catalog. Winc seems to suggest lower priced wines that fit your personalization results. You can switch out for other varieties and higher priced vintages.
- Cheers! Free shipping. Nifty little icon as part of the checkout cart. I thought this was a nice touch.
- Welcome / onboarding process. Winc tells you all about your new wines. They link out to the individual product page where you can learn about the wine itself. And they also link to recipe pairings (which is a nice touch).
- Premium level membership option. Apparently their is a premium tier which I’ll have to explore later.
- Next order process date notification (Monday 10/8). This is a really nice feature. Front and center I’m told when my next order will process.
- Can rate wines. You have the option to rate wines after receiving them.